We are committed to responsible gaming, and are dedicated to an enjoyable and positive gaming experience for all of our players. Most online players play for fun and entertainment, but we recognize that a small percentage of players will:
- Attempt to play when they’re underage, or
- Allow playing to control them and affect their lives.
We are committed to assisting and protecting those who should not be playing online at all, or who wish to limit the amount that they play.
Any underage player who has provided dishonest or inaccurate information regarding their true age may have all chips forfeited and could face permanent closure of their account.
What we do
- Every person signing up for a new Stars Account must check a box that indicates that they are at least 18 years of age. This notifies everybody that we don’t accept players under 18.
- When a player creates a Stars Account, we collect their name, address, and birth date to confirm that the player is at least 18 years old.
- We do not target underage players with our marketing and advertising. It is neither good business nor consistent with our personal and corporate values to attract underage players.
What you can do
- Be sure to protect your computer. All Windows computers can be set up to have password control so that you must enter a password to get to the desktop. In general, this is a good practice, but it’s even more important when there are children or teenagers in your household. Also, keep your Stars ID and password private. You can elect to have the software not remember your password each time you log in. If you have any concern that somebody else might attempt to access your account, you should not allow the software to remember your password.
- If you have children or teenagers in your household, use protection software that allows you to limit the websites to which they have access, prevent file sharing, and generally give you detailed control over how your children use the Internet. Here is a list of some of those programs:
- If you are aware of an underage person using our software, let us know. Simply send an email to Support and we will get right on it. Our first step is to investigate, and if warranted, freeze the player’s account and request identification from that player. We take these reports seriously.
- Be a responsible parent. In many ways, this is nothing more than keeping your eyes and ears open. If you hear your children talking about online accounts, start asking questions. If you see our poker client on your child's computer, uninstall it and ask more questions. A responsible parent is the best start to preventing underage gaming.
If you believe that playing online might be a hindrance to your life rather than a form of entertainment, we want to help you. First, please review the following questions:
- Did you ever lose time from work or school due to playing?
- Has playing online caused you to neglect your own welfare or that of your family?
- Have you ever sold anything or borrowed money to finance your playing?
- Have you often played until your last chip was gone?
- Have you ever played longer than you had planned?
- Have you ever considered self-destruction or suicide as a result of your playing?
If you answered “Yes” to several of these questions, we encourage you to visit Gamblers Anonymous.
You can take the test in its entirety at one of the following websites:
Also, we provide you with the ability to exclude yourself from playing on our software for various periods of time. In order to be self-excluded for seven days or more, please email our Responsible Gaming department directly and we will start your exclusion as soon as possible.
Please note that all self-exclusions and time outs are irreversible for the duration of the specified time.
- We offer seven day, 30 day, 60 day, and 120 day time out periods. You will not be able to play ring games, Sit & Go's or multi-table tournaments or any other type of game on our software. Once your self-exclusion period is started, you will be asked to close all tables at which you're playing. Once you've done that, the time out or self-exclusion period will begin. You will be automatically unregistered from any tournament that begins during the time out and self-exclusion period. You will not receive any marketing emails or newsletters from us during your self-exclusion period.
- 6-month self-exclusion. This is identical to the other time out periods, except that you will not be automatically reinstated. If you want to return to playing with us, you can email Support any time after your self-exclusion period has passed.
- Self-exclusions longer than 6 months, and permanent self-exclusions. If you wish to self-exclude yourself longer than 6 months, or permanently self-exclude yourself, please contact Support.
If you use a Windows or Mac computer and wish to self-exclude from all online gambling activity, consider downloading gamban®, software that helps you by blocking access to all online gambling.
You may also wish to investigate GamBlock, a software application that limits a computer’s access to online gaming sites.
How to play online responsibly
If you choose to play online, there are some general guidelines that can help make your online playing experience safer, and reduce the risk that problems can occur:
- Don't play online when you are upset, tired, or depressed. It is difficult to make good decisions when you are feeling down.
- Balance playing online with other activities. Find other forms of entertainment so that playing online does not become too big a part of your life.
If you feel you might have a gambling problem, and seek further advice or counselling, you can visit these web sites:
- GamCare (UK)
- Gamble Aware (Ireland)
- Adictel (France)
- GamblingTherapy (World Wide)
- Tactus (Netherlands)
- Fejar (Spain)
- Gambling Help On Line (Australia)
- Responsible Gaming Resource Ctr (Canada)
- Center for Ludomani (Denmark)
- Morningside Recovery (USA)
- Logout (Slovenia)
- Center for Addiction Treatment Nova Gorica (Slovenia)
Setting limits on your real money deposits
We believe that you should be allowed to manage your own budget for playing online. We allow you to restrict your own weekly Play Money purchases. If you want to limit or block purchases of Play Money chips completely, you can contact Support for further assistance.
Please Note: Your deposit limit does not apply on StarsDraft, where available.